Who is Valley?
Valley Haggard has written in short and long form all her life. She is a big fan of the postcard, the 6-word memoir and drawers full of unfinished manuscripts. She has slept in tents, hostels, motels, couches, tool sheds, log cabins, bunk beds and ship bowels for short periods of time and the house she grew up in for much longer than that. She has lived in Virginia, New York, Italy, Colorado, Arkansas, and Alaska, holding jobs as a Waffle House waitress, Dude Ranch Cabin Girl, cruise ship stewardess and hotel maid. She has written book reviews, author interviews and first person columns; judged fiction contests and fellowships and sat on non-profit writing boards. She is the recipient of a 2014 Theresa Pollak Prize and a 2015 Style Weekly Women in the Arts Award. The founder of Richmond Young Writers, she leads creative nonfiction marathons, workshops and retreats for adults. She has a handsome husband, a brilliant son, an addictive personality and a voracious appetite for all things word.
Read, listen and watch, below!
sharing the valley love
Names of Exotic Gods and Children, Parhelion Magazine, 2018
Henry Haggard and Valley Haggard, Mother and Son Crime Fighting Duo, Prose and Cons, WRIR Radio
- New Chapter: Richmond Young Writers Project Outgrows its First Home, Style Weekly, Nov 2016
- RVANews, Fascinating People 2016! February 2016
- Valley Haggard on Writing, Working With Kids on Writing and Life in 10 Minutes, Huffington Post, December 2015
- Truth Teller Spotlight, Broad Street Magazine, November 2015.
- 2 PPL Podcast, an interview, July 2015
- Caring for Myself as a Parent and a Person, Nurture, May 2015.
- Writing Flashes, Style Weekly, February 2015.
- The Path of Exploration, Richmond Magazine, September 2014.
- A Room Of Their Own, Richmond Magazine, July 2014